Climbing in Meteora
Although climbing in Meteora sounds like an unfeasible dream for the one not acquainted with its secrets, nevertheless it can be a fascinating activity for the patient expeditioner. All the more since it is one of the best organised climbing sites not only in Greece but also in Europe, with more than 600 climbing paths of every level of difficulty. The only thing needed for someone to try this experience is a good physical condition and a psychological affinity to height....
The paths we suggest are the following:
- Doupiani Rock, back wall. A series of accessible paths, 4rth level of difficulty, ideal for a starter in Meteora.
- Abaria Rock, path named "Southwest edge". A path of medium difficulty (5th level, 120m.), only 2 difficult passes, offered for a good climbing suite.
- Agio Pnevma Rock, path named "Pilier of Dreams". One of the most beautiful paths in Meteora, of medium difficulty, but a great development (5th level, 250m.).
- Ypsilotera Rock, path named "Oyrania Skala" and Sourloti Rock, path named "Grammi tis Piptousas Stagonas". Difficult expecting paths (6th level of difficulty). Only for experienced and advanced climbers.
- Adrachti Rock, path named "Metaxoti Klosti" and Agio Pnevma Rock, path named "Diedro tis Schizofrenias". Extremely difficult paths, they are two of the climbing "must" in the broader climbing site of Meteora.
Taken from a 36-page article, "UNKNOWN METEORA" of the magazine Elliniko panorama, issue 7, December 1998